In the small town of Marpingen of Saarland, there are two holy wells with extraordinary history. As the village is located between Tholey and St. Wendel which are notable for their religious histories.
his little housed well is called “Ladyswell” and its well house was built in honour of the Virgin Mary. It was a place of pilgrimage until the end of the 19th century and was also the site of the Fair Green of Cashel, a town fair held every March and June for over 1500 years.
As common a name as many across the Irish landscape of “Our Lady’s Well” or simply “Holy Well”, a term given to most holy wells during their Christianization and dedication to the Virgin Mary before being assigned to a given Saint, this holy well is no different. In addition, as with many holy wells, it is no longer extant as a well demolished by means of residential construction.